It goes without saying that being a dad means having more responsibilities. We have to earn more money because the expenses are skyrocketing. We have to baby-proof the house. We have make sure that our babies’ health are top-notch. These are just some of the responsibilities and you can bet there are more. Yes, including one of the most dreaded responsibilities of parenthood – changing diapers.
As a dad, you need to know how to change a diaper. Sure, you can just yell “yaya!” (or Nanny to my international readers) every time your baby needs to be changed. You can also ask your wife to do it for you. However, it’s a skill that will prove to be useful later on when your yaya is on her rest day and your wife is unavailable. What will you do? Leave your baby soiled? That’s not good parenting. So I suggest that you man up and take on the challenge.
Fortunately, it’s very easy to learn how to change a diaper. Just follow these steps:
1. If you’re outside like in a mall or restaurant, look for the changing station. A lot of mall restrooms already have changing tables. If you’re at home, use your changing table. If you have none or if you can’t find any, just place a clean, dry and warm towel over a clean, dry and warm surface. Make sure that the surface is sturdy.
2. Make sure that the area is dry and warm. This is very important if you’re going to use a public changing station. In addition, make sure that it’s clean.
3. Prepare the supplies. Take out the clean diaper, baby wipes, paper towels and anti-allergy powder or cream if needed. On that note, make sure that you have all those things inside a diaper bag when you’re out.
4. Clean your hands. Use a soap that won’t irritate your baby’s skin. Dry your hands thoroughly.
5. Unfasten the diaper. Gently hold your baby by the ankles using one hand. Raise your baby slowly off the changing table. Use the front end of the diaper to wipe off excess stool or urine off your baby. Fold the diaper with the dirty side inside. Throw it away. NOTE: Never flush a diaper in the toilet!
6. Use the baby wipes to clean your baby’s front area first. This is very important because you wouldn’t want to clean his behind first because that can infect his genital area. Wipe the genital area first and work your way towards your baby’s behind.
7. Place a clean diaper underneath the baby but don’t fasten it yet. Apply the anti-allergy powder or cream if needed. However, it’s highly-suggested that you apply baby powder.
8. Fasten the diaper. Make sure that it’s a snug fit.
You see, it’s very easy to learn how to change a diaper. Just make sure that you practice. If you’re an expecting dad like me, practice on a stuffed toy. That’s what I did. If you’re a dad and you don’t know how to change a diaper, then it’s time to start learning.
Is it degrading to a man? Only if you’re not a proud dad. Believe me, there are millions of people all over the world who would pay great money in order to be in your position. Just be thankful that you are given the opportunity to have a baby and to change his or her diaper.
Photo from TheSeafarer